Open Metadata Security Samples
The open metadata security samples provide sample implementations of the open metadata security connectors that can be added to the OMAG Server Platform and to any OMAG server running on the platform. With these samples it is possible to experiment with how security authorization works with the governance zones that control the visibility of assets through the Open Metadata Access Services (OMASs).
The open metadata platform security connector provides authorization services for the platform services and the admin service to create a new server. The open metadata server security connector is specific to an OMAG server instance and is defined in the configuration document for a server.
The samples show how a security connector extends the appropriate base class and uses their methods to provide a security service.
The samples are based on the Coco Pharmaceuticals persona.
Gary Geeke (
garygeeke) is the IT Infrastructure Administrator and the IT Infrastructure Governance Officer.
He is the only person able to issue platform services requests, and work with assets in the infrastructure zone.
Peter Profile (
peterprofile), Information Analyst, and Erin Overview (
their Information Architect and Deputy Chief Data Officer,
are the only people permitted to onboard new assets through the quarantine zone using the
Asset Owner OMAS. Specifically
only Erin can remove the quarantine zone from an Asset.
The other zones defined in the sample are:
- personal-files zone - Assets that are only visible to the creator.
- data-lake zone - Assets that are read-only to all employees of Coco Pharmaceuticals with access to the data lake services. The non-personal accounts (NPAs) used by the engines that manage the data lake are the only users that can update or delete these assets
- external-access - Assets that can be seen by external collaborators, such as partners from the hospitals.
- research zone - Assets for the research team Callie Quartile (
calliequartile) and Tessa Tube (
- human-resources zone - Assets for the HR team, currently just Faith Broker (
- finance zone - Assets for the finance team Reggie Mint (
reggiemint), Tom Tally (
tomtally) and Sally Counter (
- clinical-trials zone - Assets dedicated to supporting clinical trials which are managed by Tanya Tidie (
- infrastructure zone - Assets describing the IT infrastructure that supports Coco Pharmaceuticals. These are accessible by Gary Geeke (
- development zone - Assets in use by the development team including Polly Tasker (
pollytasker), Bob Nitter (
bobnitter), Lemmie Stage (
lemmiestage), Nancy Noah (
nancynoah) and Des Signa (
- manufacturing zone - Assets used in the manufacturing process currently managed by Stew Faster (
- governance zone - Assets used to govern the organization. These are effectively the governance leadership team of Jules Keeper (
juleskeeper), Erin Overview (
erinoverview), Gary Geeke (
garygeeke), Polly Tasker (
pollytasker), Faith Broker (
faithbroker), Ivor Padlock (
ivorpadlock) and Reggie Mint (
- trash-can zone - Assets that are waiting to be deleted or archived - this is handled by their archiver processes. All of the NPA accounts have access to this zone to enable processes to retrieve files from the trash can and restore them to their original zones.
An asset may be in multiple zones and a person is typically able to access the asset if any of its zones permit access to them. However, the implementation of your connector may also look for specific combinations of zones and apply special rules. For example, the quarantine zone rules override any other zone’s rules to allow the onboarding team to set up the zones as part of the onboarding process. Only when the quarantine zone is removed, do the other zones take effect.
It is also possible to have special rules for particular services. Coco Pharmaceuticals have decided that the assetDelete method from Asset Owner OMAS is too powerful to use and so they have disabled it using this connector. Only non-personal accounts (NPA) can use this method. Coco Pharmaceutical’s staff delete an asset by moving it to the “trash-can” zone where it is cleaned up by automated archiver processes the next day.
Finally Coco Pharmaceuticals only permit non-personal accounts (NPAs) to access Connection object that have security information in it such as userIds and passwords.
License: CC BY 4.0, Copyright Contributors to the ODPi Egeria project.