Administration Services Concepts
The administration services manages the configuration of the Open Metadata and Governance (OMAG) Server Platform subsystems within an OMAG Server.
Figure 1 shows the different types of OMAG Servers that Egeria supports. The light colored servers are generic types of servers, the darker colored servers are those that can actually be run.
Figure 1: Hierarchy of OMAG Server Types
The way to understand the diagram is that the arrows should be read as IS A. For example, the Repository Proxy IS A Cohort Member and the Cohort Member IS A OMAG Server. This means that everything documented about a particular type of server is also true for all server types that point to it through the IS A arrow, all of the way down the hierarchy.
Object-oriented software engineers would know of this type of relationship as behavior inheritance.
Follow the links to find out more about each type of server.
- OMAG Server - Generic type of server.
- Cohort Member - Supports exchange of metadata between metadata repositories through its
membership of one or more Open Metadata Repository Cohorts.
- Metadata Access Point - Supports specialist metadata interfaces for particular types of third party technology.
These interfaces are called the Open Metadata Access Services (OMASs) or access services for short.
- Metadata Server - the metadata server is a metadata access point with a native open metadata repository.
- Repository Proxy - the repository proxy translates between open metadata protocols and a third party metadata repository.
- Conformance Test Server - the conformance test server hosts the Open Metadata Conformance Suite used to validate the implementation of connectors to third party metadata repositories.
- Metadata Access Point - Supports specialist metadata interfaces for particular types of third party technology. These interfaces are called the Open Metadata Access Services (OMASs) or access services for short.
- View Server - the view server provides services for web-based user interfaces (UIs).
- Governance Server - The governance server provides active metadata discovery and
integration between third party tools, platforms and engines (ie technology other that metadata repositories).
- Integration Daemon - the integration daemons are managing the exchange of metadata
between specific types of third party technology and an open metadata access point
- Data Platform Server - the data platform server provides metadata extraction from data stores such as database servers and file systems.
- Data Engine Proxy - the data engine proxy provides metadata extraction from processing engines that transform and distribute data, such as an ETL engine.
- Security Sync Server - the security sync server pushes security tag settings for assets to a security enforcement point such as Apache Ranger.
- Virtualizer - the virtualizer is an experimental server for automatically configuring a data virtualization platform.
- Security Officer Server - the security officer server is an experimental server looking at supporting algorithms that use metadata to automatically configure security tags for assets.
- Engine Host - the engine hosts support open governance engines that provide value-add services
to the open metadata ecosystem.
- Discovery Server - the discovery server hosts one or more discovery engines that drive the analysis of assets to discover new insights into its structure, content and quality.
- Stewardship Server - the stewardship server supports the review and resolution of issues and insights discovered by the other governance servers.
- Open Lineage Server - the open lineage server provides capture of lineage in a warehouse for further review and analysis.
- Integration Daemon - the integration daemons are managing the exchange of metadata between specific types of third party technology and an open metadata access point
- Cohort Member - Supports exchange of metadata between metadata repositories through its membership of one or more Open Metadata Repository Cohorts.
Other concepts of interest for administration include:
- Configuration Document - configuration for a single OMAG Server
- Configuration Document Store Connector - store for a configuration document
- Event Bus - transport for events passing between OMAG Servers.
Administration Guide for the guide to configuring the OMAG Server Platform and the different types of OMAG Servers.
Planning Guide for information on planning your deployment of Egeria.
Platform Services for information about the services use to manage the OMAG Servers running on an OMAG Server Platform.
License: CC BY 4.0, Copyright Contributors to the ODPi Egeria project.